Many of the insurance companies in Massachusetts don't write non owned auto policies. Call or text us at Surround and we can set you up with an agent who will get you the policy you need in no time.
Why is it hard to buy non owner car insurance in Massachusetts?
There are a few reasons why it's hard to buy non owner auto insurance in Massachusetts:
- Non owned auto is cheaper than a regular owned auto policy, usually about 1/3 of the price. That makes it harder for insurance companies to make money on these policies.
- Most states require people with a suspended license who don't own a car to buy a non owner auto insurance policy with a form attached called an SR-22. Massachusetts does not have this requirement, so demand for non owner policies overall is a lot lower.
- Unlike nearly every other state, the Massachusetts government set the prices for car insurance until 2008. Many of the insurance companies in Massachusetts have long focused mainly on this market. Since demand for non owner auto was low, they didn't build the products or processes for non owner auto to work well.
- Agents (both at agencies and inside insurance companies) usually get paid on commission. Since non owner auto is cheaper, but the commission percentage is the same, they get paid less for non owner auto. They may not be interested in putting a quote together if they are very busy with higher ticket policies.
- Some companies did a poor job of controlling insurance fraud for non owner auto. They allowed customers who were driving commercially (like for car-sharing services) to buy personal lines policies. The cost of insuring the high mileage a commercial driver will cover is higher, so companies that did this lost money on their nonowner auto business and exited the market.
So how do I buy a non owner car insurance policy in Massachusetts?
That's easy! We're here to help at Surround Insurance. Call or text to 617-206-1314, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We're non owner auto specialists, and we can you navigate the market in no time.
If you'd like to read more about non owned car insurance, check out our guide to everything you need to know about non owner auto insurance.